A few weeks ago on 2 separate occasions I was asked why I still live in Elmira. My answer was family, that usually goes over well.
I got home and thought a lot more about it. Why not?
To be honest I have never lived anywhere else and I am ok with that. Elmira has its problems but so does every other city.
I participated in Clean up downtown and it was awesome. It took 2 hours out of a Saturday morning to get out in the sun and pick up garbage. Everything was provided and it was actually fun. Lorene and kids came to help. I did find some random stuff that annoyed me: rearview mirror, condoms, toe spacer (for painting), food wrappers, and of course cigarettes lying around on Water st. Really people? There are garbage can all over just throw your trash AWAY!
People complain there is nothing to do here. There actually is! The more you support things that are already going on the more the city would be willing to add new events. It takes a lot of planning, time, and money to put on events. Elmira puts on some great events that are right around the corner.
- Downtown street painting festive on July 14th & 15th http://www.americantowns.com/ny/elmira-volunteer-organizations
- 7th Annual Twin Tiers Jazz festival August 18th http://www.facebook.com/pages/Twin-Tiers-Jazz-Festival/109287459093171 @ Winsor Park
- Elmira Eastside Farmers Market mid- June to mid- Oct on Fridays 3-6 http://www.local-farmers-markets.com/market/3427/elmira/elmira-eastside-farmers-market
- Winser Famers Market Thursday starting in June http://www.eventcrazy.com/Elmira-NY/attractions/details/71576-Wisner-Farmers-Market-at-Wisner-Park
- Eldridge Park opens this weekend http://www.eldridgepark.us/calendar/
- Harris Hill is already open http://www.harrishillamusements.com/
- Seneca Lake wine trail http://www.senecalakewine.com/
- Keuka Lake wine trail http://www.keukawinetrail.com/
- Tag’s summer soundstage http://eventful.com/bigflats/venues/summer-stage-at-tags-/V0-001-000166021-5
- Tioga Downs http://eventful.com/nichols_ny/venues/tioga-downs-/V0-001-000223473-4
- 170th Chemung County Fair http://eventful.com/horseheads/venues/chemung-county-fair-/V0-001-001565078-3
So I made this list in less than 10 minutes, I am sure there is many more things going on around this great city. Get out there check out events, get involoved, volunteer, spend some money on local events. So I dare you to stop complaining and do something about it. Get out there and see whats going on!
Anyone know of any events going on that you wanna share?